Today, America celebrates it’s independence. Tomorrow, we celebrate one month on the road and our own independence. Independence from an ordinary life. Independence from an educational system we don’t believe in. Independence from a house full of junk we didn’t ever really need. We’ve always felt independent, like free thinkers, living life on our own terms. But it wasn’t until we sold everything we own to travel and see the world that we realized what true independence feels like. There’s nothing more amazing than starting from scratch, scrubbing away all your preconceived notions of how raising kids should look and making your own path forward.
To celebrate, we’re writing our very own Declaration of Independence. Hurrah!
The Q Family Declaration of Independence
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all man, woman and child are equal, that they are entitled certain unalienable rights as human beings, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. We, therefore, Representatives of The Q Family, appealing to blog readers of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the name, and by authority of ourselves, solemnly publish and declare that we ought to be free and independent of society’s expectations and rules and absolved from all allegiance to the status quo. From this moment forth, we declare the freedom :
- To define success on our own terms, disregarding the opinions of people who don’t live our lives.
- To make as much or as little money as we need to live a happy, fulfilled life and to not feel judged based on the dollar amount in our bank account.
- To choose a life of travel and adventure without being told our children need more stability (especially from parents of children who might enjoy a bit more flexibility!)
- To educate our children in a creative, progressive, non-standardized way that allows them the freedom to study anything and everything they choose.
- To find value in moments instead of things and to reject the notion that more stuff equals more happiness.
- To have faith in each other, our ideas and our plans and to do whatever it takes to help each other succeed and live long, happy lives.
- To encourage and support each other through good times and bad.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm belief in ourselves and the power of positivity and love, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
THE END! (Or should I say THE BEGINNING?)
Happy Independence Day, friends!
xoxo, The Q Family!
Some of our favorite photos from our first month on the road! (Be sure to come back and read about each day of our travels! Days 1-7 have been blogged and the rest will be posted soon!)